Former Australian star cricketer Stuart MacGill was abducted and released in an alleged kidnapping in Sydney last month, police say. Four people have been arrested in connection with the incident which took place on 14 April. Police said MacGill knew one of the men and the plot had been financially motivated.
He sustained minor injuries in the incident but didn’t require medical care, police said. MacGill, 50, was a Test spinner for the national team between 1998 and 2008. At one point, he was ranked the world’s second-best bowler behind his team-mate Shane Warne. MacGill first reported the alleged kidnapping to police on April 20. Police believe a 46-year-old man first approached the ex-cricketer before two more men arrived and forced MacGill into a car, driving him over 60 kilometres to a property in Bringelly in Sydney’s west. A short time later the pair were approached by two other men, forcing the older man into a vehicle. He was then driven to a property at Bringelly, where the two men, plus another unknown man, allegedly assaulted the 50-year-old man and threatened him with a firearm. “About an hour later, the man was driven to the Belmore area and released. “The incident was reported to officers from North Shore Police Area Command on Wednesday 20 April 2021.
“Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad were notified and subsequently commenced an investigation under Strike Force Cain.