Amid the festival season and the rising pollution level in North India, there is a possibility of a surge in the active covid cases across the country. India, which was until last month the 2nd most-affected country by active cases, has now slipped to the 5th rank. Within 24 hours, the country reported 48,285 fresh covid-19 cases while the total count now stands on 86,840,39. The country’s death toll is now 1,28,164. In the national capital, one in four persons appears to be infected and the virus has touched almost every household in the city. Kerala has crossed 500000 mark in the active covid cases. Vaccination for covid is still underway. The only way not to get infected is to maintain the covid guidelines issued by the government. In addition to this, intaking vitamin rich food will also be helpful in preventing adverse symptoms from COVID-19, as it’s known to support the immune system.
Vitamin B12 is one of the many vitamins that are crucial for bodily health. B12 has the ability to regulate cell metabolism and boost red blood cells production. Studies suggest that COVID-19 can stop RBC formation in the body, and lack of vitamin B12 could make it worse. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 can lead to difficulty in the treatment of Covid 19. The Erythrocytes red blood cells help oxygen travel in the body through hemoglobin. The loss of erythrocytes in Coronavirus patients could damage brain neurons, blood vessels, and lead to multiple organ failure in worse cases. Only administration of erythrocyte mass and vitamin B12 could be effective in such cases. A study found that the characteristic location of hemoglobin in RBCs of COVID-19 patients indicated iron deficiency and B12 anaemia. The symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency are close to COVID-19 infection such as elevated oxidative stress, respiratory and gastrointestinal disorders, and also central nervous systems impairment. Here are some vitamin B12-rich foods you can add to your diet.
1. Chicken offers a good amount of Vit B12 in addition to animal-based protiens.
2. Eggs are also main source of Vit B12 and protiens.
3. Cereals, all morning breakfast cereals are rich in Vitamin B12. You can also add museli of any brand to your daily breakfast to get vital quantities of Vitamin B12. Cereals with all bran foods are also rich in Vitamin B12.
4 Milk and all milk products are considered a great source of vitamin B12.
5. Salmon contains Omega3 fatty acids and Vit B12.
6. Many of the sources of Vitamin B12 are sea food like shellfish, liver of cattle, mackerel fish, sardines, tuna, salmon, cod, shrimp, scallops, crab, and red meat.