Five year old girl died after being treated for amoebic encephalitis

A five-year-old girl died after being treated for amoebic encephalitis, a rare disease. Fadwa, a native of Kaliyattamuk, Malappuram, Munniyur, died. She was under ventilator treatment at Kozhikode Medical College for a week.

The child developed fever and headache after taking a bath in the pool of Manyoor and later became ill. The child was first admitted to a private hospital and later shifted to the Kozhikode Medical College.

It was at the medical college that Fadwa was diagnosed with amoebic encephalitis, a rare disease. They tried to save him by giving many medicines, but finally succumbed to death. Since there is no medicine for this disease in India, an attempt was made to bring it from outside, but it was not possible.

Kozhikode medical college treated the four children who were relatives who had bathed with the child after it was confirmed that the child had brain fever. The college was put under surveillance and alert issued in the area.

Later, these four children were discharged from the hospital after their symptoms improved. Doctors had informed that brain fever is a disease with a death rate close to 100 percent. Meanwhile, vigilance is still on in Munniyur area.