Two killed in multi-storey building collapse in Maharashtra Eighteen people are said to be trapped inside the building. Rescue operations are continuing in the area under the leadership of the National Disaster Response Force. A five-story building in Raigad Mahad Tehsil area collapsed at around 6.50 pm yesterday. Soon after learning of the tragedy, the NDRF team rushed to the rescue from Pune. The rescue mission, which began in the evening, is still ongoing.
There were 47 flats in the building. According to reports, the building completely collapsed like a lottery. District Collector Nidhi Chaudhary said about 70 residents had been evacuated from the building just before the tragedy. The preliminary conclusion is that low-quality materials were used for the construction of the building. Based on this, an FIR has been registered against the builders, engineers, and contractors, the Collector said.
In the aftermath of the incident, Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray had spoken to the local MLA and District Collector. His response was that the government was assuring all possible support and assistance for the rescue operation. Meanwhile, former chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and home minister Amit Shah have expressed shock and grief over the incident.
The collapse of a building in Raigad, Maharashtra is very tragic. Have spoken to DG @NDRFHQ to provide all possible assistance, teams are on the way and will be assisting with the rescue operations as soon as possible. Praying for everyone’s safety.
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) August 24, 2020
Shocked to hear about the building collapse incident at Mahad (Raigad) where many are feared trapped.
Praying for everyone’s safety.
महाड (रायगड) येथे इमारत कोसळल्याचे वृत्त धक्कादायक आहे. अनेक लोक या मलब्याखाली असल्याच्या बातम्या येत आहेत.सर्व जण सुखरूप राहतील,अशी प्रार्थना करतो
— Devendra Fadnavis (@Dev_Fadnavis) August 24, 2020